Monday, July 1, 2013

disney.

Am I the only 18-year-old who gets over-excited to see Disney movies? I hope not.  How could someone not love them? They are cute, funny, creative, sometimes musical, and entertaining
                                   (things I want in a guy).

If I'm being honest with myself, those are not the reasons I enjoy watching the quirky animated films. The real reason the older audience loves movies meant for children.... is that they want to become little kids again.

There is a beautiful feeling called nostalgia. It is the longing for things lost, things that were wonderful but seemed to have passed too.  I am nostalgic for my innocence and my imagination.  For the good feelings related to smells, scenes, and sensations.  What brought about these good feelings, I often wonder.  Other times when I do chance to remember, I daydream. Those were the good days.

Childhood.  When we were free of responsibility, of drama, of conflict, and of confusion.  I realize that as I go off to college all of this is changing much too fast. I have the responsibility of a job now.  I am responsible to be an example to the people I train at my job. I will have the responsibility of buying my own food, shampoo and toiletries, and clothes in a few months. I will have the responsibility of remembering important meetings and deadlines on my own.  

I suppose that is why I couldn't wait to see Toy Story 3 and Monster's University.  Here were beloved characters I had grown up with: Andy, Mike, Sully, and all their friends; and in those movies they would be taking a big step of responsibility in their own lives.  They offered me the chance to relive my childhood in a more "adult" way.  Their lives chronicled in the most recent movies were synonymous to mine.  And I could not miss out on the opportunity to take a step back into innocence as a young adult.

Of course, there are other Disney movies coming out soon.  Despicable Me 2 on Wednesday and Finding Dory in a year or so.  Neither of these movies are relatable to my life... In fact, their predecessors came out when I was no longer in the audience for G-rated movies.  I suppose there is just that instinct to revert back to childhood as often as possible: and these new Disney movies give me a wonderful opportunity to do that.


I'm seeing Despicable Me 2 on Wednesday with my best friend who shares my love for Disney movies (one of our favorites is Tarzan).  I hope everyone has a chance to see this movie!


No comments:

Post a Comment